Are you interested in learning how to become a virtual assistant but aren’t sure where to find the best virtual assistant training?
Not long ago, I wanted to know the same thing. I desperately wanted to find a flexible way to make money online so I could stay home with my baby. Within just a few months I figured out how to consistently earn $1,000+ a month by becoming a virtual assistant. I resigned from my job and have been a work-from-home mom ever since.
Now one of the most common questions I get is how others can make money from home and what kind of free training is there for virtual assistants?
In this article, you will learn:
- where to find the best free virtual assistant training
- how to determine what services you can get paid for as a virtual assistant (even if you have no experience)
- the best virtual assistant training course to fast-track your success
I’m super excited for you to start learning how to become a virtual administrative assistant because it literally changed my life.
Quick, before we jump into the training, I want to be upfront and disclose that some of the links in this post are affiliate links
Things To Look For In Good Virtual Assistant Training
If you’re looking for the best virtual assistant training, here are key things the training should cover:
- How to identify your niche and which service(s) you’ll offer
- What equipment and tools you will need
- How to market your new virtual assistant business
- How to find your first client
- Bookkeeping for your virtual assistant business
- Contract requirements and template
As for the course teacher and mentor, you’ll want to know:
- Why are they qualified to teach you?
- How long have they been working as a virtual administrative assistant?
- Do they have an active website and social media presence?
- Are there any extra expenses for workbooks, books, membership groups?
- Are there any methods of support for you during/after the course? Ex. Coaching or Support Groups
- How long do you have access to the materials?
Free Virtual Assistant Training & Resources
While the best information is in the form of paid courses, there are some awesome resources where you can start learning about becoming a virtual assistant for free.
Free training and resources are great because they give you a feel for if virtual assistance is right for you and what an instructor is like before paying for a course or coaching services later on.
So here are the best free virtual assistant training and resources which you can get sent to your email.
1) The FIRST 10 Steps To Work From Home
If you want to work from home but aren’t sure how to get started, I created a 20-page guide just for you.
The First 10 Steps To Work From Home walks you through the steps, exercises, templates, and exact resources you need to figure out:
- Why you want to work from home
- What you are good at and can get paid to do
- How my journey shifted into Virtual Assistant work (and yours might too)
- Why and how you need to invest in yourself
- How to find your first clients (even if you don’t have experience)
- What you need to figure out with your first client
- How to stand out as a service provider
- And how to ask for testimonies (the template I use)
This is the step-by-step process to figure out how to start your own freelance business and work from home. It is a 10-step guide checklist of exactly what I did go from knowing nothing about making money online–or even what does virtual assistant do–to having more clients than I knew what to do with.
2) Free Virtual Assistant Training – What Does A Virtual Assistant Do?
Gina Horkey of Horkey Handbook organized a LIST OF 150+ SERVICES VAs CAN OFFER to help you figure out what type of tasks, projects, or services people hire Virtual Assistants to do. This guide is an excellent first step if you’re just starting to figure out what a virtual assistant is and what a virtual assistant does.
3) Free Virtual Assistant Training – Brainstorming Guide
Micala Quinn of The Live Free, Mama has a free BRAINSTORMING to help you narrow down which talents, skills, and experiences you have that you can turn into a profitable work-from-home career. If you need help identifying which of the services from Gina’s list are best for YOU to offer as a Virtual Assistant, then this is a great tool for you. Having a background in education, it wasn’t clear for me. But now that I’ve been working in the online world for a couple of years, I promise, you have several skills already that you just don’t realize yet that people want to pay for!
4) Free Virtual Assistant Training – Launch Your Business Checklist
The Virtual Savvy has a CHECKLIST FOR LAUNCHING YOUR VA BUSINESS that shows you all the things you need to think about to launch your virtual assistant business, like creating your brand, your pricing, your mission statement, questions to ask potential clients, opening a business bank account, and so on. This guide gives you an overview of all the steps that need to happen; it doesn’t walk you through how to do them.
So if you are a complete newbie looking for virtual assistant training, this guide is best only after you’ve committed to starting your VA business. To complete the guide, you’ll need to search for articles, videos, and podcasts that will show you how to do each step (which would honestly take a LONG time) or you can use this to guide you as you go through a step-by-step course to make sure you cover all your bases as you launch your VA business.
Free Virtual Assistant Training: Video Training
Below are three video recordings that you can sign up for and watch anytime. During webinars like these, you can tell if you connect with the teacher’s style, personality, strategies, background, and core beliefs.
5) Free Virtual Assistant Training With Gina Horkey
Gina Horkey of Horkey Handbook has a free webinar that is one hour long. During that training, Gina answers the following questions for you:
- What is a Virtual Assistant?
- What does a Virtual Assistant do?
- Is there really a need for Virtual Assistants?
- How to get started and become a Virtual Assistant?
Gina’s Free Virtual Assistant Training also walks you through your first 3 steps to getting started, including a simple but effective script and strategy for finding your first client. You could literally start pitching clients within the next hour.
I also love how Gina shares the most secure industries and what type of tasks you can get paid $20 per hour for compared to specialist tasks that she gets $100 per hour for.
Want to learn more?
Simply sign up for GINA’S FREE ONE-HOUR TRAINING so you can learn the basics about what virtual administrative assistants do, the script and steps so you can land virtual assistant jobs, and get a feel for Gina’s background, experience, and teaching style that she’s used to help thousands of newbies break into a virtual assistant career.
6) Free Virtual Assistant Training With Micala Quinn
Micala Quinn of Live Free, Mama also has a free workshop that’s two hours of valuable content and questions answered. Micala was a high school teacher and had zero experience in online business or virtual assistant tasks, yet she replaced her full-time income working from home so she could be a stay-at-home mom (similar to my story!). In Micala’s free virtual assistant training, she covers:
- Why freelancing is such a hot industry
- 5 things you need to focus on (and what not to focus on)
- the tools you need to start your VA business (and they’re all FREE!)
- and how you really can replace your income within 6-12 months from now
Micala also shares how she turned her background in education and NO experience into services she could offer as a virtual assistant.
After watching Micala’s free virtual assistant training, you will:
- understand the type of services you can offer for $20-$100+ per hour
- narrow down which services you can offer
- know the 3 different goals you need to set to move your business forward
- discover proven ways to get hired without spending any money for advertising
- build your confidence so you take action and stop letting fear hold you back
Wondering how Micala’s free training could help you?
Go ahead and WATCH MICALA’S FREE 2-HOUR TRAINING. It’s recorded, so you can watch it right now or get it in your inbox to watch later. She will show you how you can earn a full-time income with virtual assistant jobs and the 5 free tools you need to launch your virtual assistant business and see results SUPER fast.
7) Free Virtual Assistant Training With Abbey Ashley
Abbey Ashley of The Virtual Savvy has a virtual assistant training for free as well called Become a Booked Out Virtual Assistant. I was skeptical of this training because of the bold claims to show you:
- how to find 1,000s of clients who are waiting for your services
- what paying clients are really looking for in a VA
- and how to quickly earn $100k as a Virtual Assistant
Even as someone who works as a virtual assistant and believes almost anyone can be successful earning a full-time income as a virtual assistant, I thought these first two claims were a bit too good to be true.
Nonetheless, I watched the entire training and did find it valuable. Here’s where I’d make adjustments to the claims.
This training can show you and I honestly believe:
- there are legit places to find plenty of clients willing to hire you
- what paying clients are looking for in a VA
- it is possible to earn a healthy full-time income as a virtual administrative assistant
- it is possible to earn $100k with virtual assistant jobs (but the “quickly” part depends on your definition and you have to have or learn high-end skills)
My favorite part of Abbey’s training is how to stand out from the crowd when you’re applying for virtual assistant jobs or freelance work. The method she describes in detail is exactly what I’ve done to land interviews, get hired, and successfully increase my wages as a virtual assistant, writer, and editor (I just didn’t realize it until I watched this training).
Curious to learn what it is?
You can watch ABBEY’S FREE VA TRAINING anytime and learn the best places to find clients, how it legitimately is possible to earn $100k from becoming a virtual assistant, and the proven method to stand out from the crowd.
Paid Virtual Assistant Training Courses
With the above free VA training, you can figure out on your own how to become a virtual assistant with no experience. You might even have great success! What most people figure out is that it takes a LOT of time and guesswork to figure everything out by reading blog posts, listening to podcasts, waiting to hear back from people, etc. If you have all the time in the world to learn and you don’t want to spend a dime to become a VA, you don’t have to and you can start a virtual assistant business this year.
But if you want results 100x faster. If you’re frustrated and need a change ASAP. If you want to earn more money to pay the bills, pay off debt, or just so you have more room in your budget for splurges, then I have a solution for you:
There are virtual assistant training courses that will take you from no experience to thriving business ridiculously fast.
All of these instructors have been there, done that. They’ve been unhappy in their jobs, desperately wanted to be stay-at-home moms, and craved the freedom and flexibility that working at home offers.
They break down the entire process of WHAT you need to do to become a virtual assistant into achievable baby steps. They teach you WHEN to do the steps, and most importantly, the best way HOW to do them.
While there are more courses out there, below are the most highly recommended by past students. These courses have helped THOUSANDS of people like you successfully find work they love and launch virtual assistant businesses. Each course offers the same core material but with unique perspectives, bonus materials, and teaching styles.
- Overwhelmed to Overbooked by Micala Quinn of The Live Free, Mama
- 30 Days to Virtual Assistant Success by Gina Horkey of Horkey Handbook
- VA Bootcamp by Abbey Ashley of The Virtual Savvy
Whenever comparing courses, there are a few key things to consider:
- Value: What quality and How much information are you getting?
- Proof: Why are they qualified to teach you?
- Teaching Style: Who do you connect with?
- Price: What is the investment?
- Support: What support do you get during and after the course?
Without writing a long novel, here’s how each course breaks down:
8) Virtual Assistant Course: OVERWHELMED TO OVERBOOKED
- Taught by Micala Quinn
- 7 hours of course training
- Investment of $597
- Payment plan option of 6 monthly payments of $99.50
- Lifetime access to course materials & all future updates
- Templates, workbooks, and guides to help you get all the steps done
- Group Coaching every 2 weeks by Micala where you can ask anything, troubleshoot roadblocks, get accountability, and create custom next steps for you
- Ongoing support and training each month by different experts. You get access to all past and future training. (Currently, 4.5+ hours of bonus training and lots more coming)
- Active & Supportive Private Facebook group with access to Micala and lots of moms who are going through the course too
- Full refund within 3 months (if you show you did the work and didn’t get results) –> this has never happened because her program WORKS!
Overall, this course walks you step-by-step from Could I really be a Virtual Assistant? to Scaling a Virtual Assistant Business Beyond $5,000 per month.
I love how Micala is genuine and upfront about any downsides and her mistakes–as well as the pros of becoming a virtual assistant.
She’s transparent about the parts that were hard for her and is realistic that it will take some time and effort, but that you definitely should see an ROI within 6 months. Plus, she has legit experience going from ZERO experience (she was a teacher!) to working with BIG names (like Dana Malstaff aka THE Boss Mom!)…and now scaling her own successful business earning way more than she ever did teaching.
Micala also gives you free options for pretty much everything you need to start your business. She gives you templates for contracts, organizing clients, keeping track of money, workbooks that are fillable or printable, and a lot more. She even shows you how to set up and use the free tools and software so you could literally start making money as a virtual assistant without spending one cent beyond the course.
BONUS: All new students get a welcome box that looks gorgeous! This is proof of how well she takes care of her students. That mug…love it!
Although Overwhelmed to Overbooked is a legit amazing course, there are a couple things that are not included:
- how to set up a website
- bookkeeping basics (rumor has it this training is coming soon!)
Neither of those are dealbreakers for me. You don’t need a website to get started (which she proves in the course), but you might need to learn a little more about basic business bookkeeping somewhere else (or request it as an expert training) if you’re brand new to having your own freelance business. She does, however, give you a basic spreadsheet template to track your expenses and income, which is a good place to start.
Overall Course Rating?
I loved this course. It was comprehensive, thorough, and easy to follow. It gives you everything you need from templates, checklists, tools and software, strategies, and ongoing support for accountability so you can not only get started, but continue to scale and grow as a virtual assistant. If you invest in this course and follow her steps, I have full faith you will earn your money back and then some within a few months. Plus, you’ll have skills, connections, and confidence that can take your business to places you cannot even imagine.
Check out Overwhelmed to Overbooked to Take Out the Overwhelm and start your Overbooked Virtual Assistant Business today.
9) Virtual Assistant Training Course: 30 DAYS OR LESS TO VIRTUAL ASSISTANT SUCCESS
- Taught by Gina Horkey
- Investment of $247
- Checklists and Quizzes to guide your action & check your understanding
- 30 days free Facebook community for job leads ($38/month after that)
- Full refund within 7 days
Check Out 30 Days to Virtual Assistant Success to Launch your VA Business in the next 30 days!
10) Virtual Assistant Training Course: VA BOOTCAMP
- Taught by Abbey Ashley
- Investment of $997*
- Payment plan option of 13 monthly payments of $97*
- Group Coaching every month where you can ask questions, get feedback, and get training
- Private Mastermind group for others starting their virtual assistant work
- Full refund within 30 days (if you do the work and don’t get results)
*If you watch her free training there was an offer to pay $897 or 10 monthly payments of $97
*There is also a Tech Lab where you can learn specific skills that you can then offer as a virtual assistant. The VA Bootcamp + Tech Lab training is an investment of $2,497
Check out VA Bootcamp and Start your Profitable Virtual Assistant Business!
Uh Oh! Virtual Assistant Training Mistakes
One thing to take note of as you’re learning how to become a virtual assistant with no experience is what country the course creator is located. Some virtual assistant training provides contract templates to help you get started with your first VA clients, but you won’t want to use a contract based on UK law if you’re a US citizen. So while the Society of Virtual Assistants for UK VAs is a great resource for those in the UK, it’s not the place I recommend for aspiring virtual assistants from the U.S.
Start Your Virtual Assistant Training Now
If you are frustrated with your current situation and you’re looking for a job that can be flexible and pays well, a career as a Virtual Assistant could change your life (like it changed mine). My virtual assistant income provides the extra money my family needs so I could be a stay-at-home mom.
And now you have at your fingertips the best virtual assistant training available, including:
- free virtual assistant training guides to figure out if VA work is right for you
- the first 10 steps to start working from home as a virtual assistant (or any freelancing career)
- guides to figure out what skills you have that people will pay for
- virtual assistant contracts, pitching templates, and strategies to find clients
- and much, much more!
Remember, you can do the DIY route using the provided free trainings and successfully become a virtual assistant. This will take a good amount of time, discipline, research, and trial-and-error, but it doesn’t have to cost a dime. This is the best route if you have zero money for a course and plenty of time to learn and implement.
However, if you have some money but not a lot of time, then take the fast track and invest in a step-by-step course that will walk you through the entire process. You’ll still need some time to do the work (buying a course and not doing anything with it will not make people start paying you). But if you’re serious about getting started and want the fastest and most effective route, all you have to do is sign up for at least one of the above courses.
What Are You Waiting For?
Download your free guides. Watch the free virtual assistant training videos. Plugin to a virtual assistant training community. Or just dive right into one of the courses. But for goodness sake, if you’re still here, you need to Start your Profitable Virtual Assistant Business in the Next 30 Days!
Being a VA has changed my life, and I can’t wait to hear how it changes yours.