When an interviewer asks questions about you, he or she is trying to determine whether you’ll be a good fit for the company. Is your personality a match for the company culture? Are your goals and expectations a match for what your role in the company will be if you're hired? How would you fit in with the current team?
The best way to answer interview questions about yourself is to be honest. You are who you are. However, you also want to keep the company and the specific job in mind when you answer.
Read below for more specific tips on how to answer interview questions about yourself. Also see below for a list of the most common interview questions you'll be asked, and sample answers.
Tips for Answering Interview Questions About You
Every interview question about you requires a slightly different answer, but there are a few useful tips you can keep in mind whenever you are asked a question about yourself.
First of all, honesty really is the best policy. Trying to present yourself as someone you're not may help you get a job offer, but it might not be the best idea in the long run. You need to consider whether the job would work out long-term if it's not a match for your personality and work style or for what you're seeking in your next position and your next employer.
Moreover, employers can often tell when an interviewee’s answers are insincere, so be genuine.
However, you also want to make sure you answer with the specific company and job in mind. For example, if you are asked what your greatest weakness is, you don’t want to say something that is a requirement for the job. Therefore, be sure to review both the job listing and your resume before the interview. Think of skills, experiences, and qualities you have that make you a good fit for the position.
Most Asked Interview Questions About You
More Questions About You: A - Z List
- How will your greatest strength help you perform? - Best Answers
- How would you adjust to working for a new company? - Best Answers
- How would you describe the pace at which you work? - Best Answers
- How would you describe yourself? - Best Answers
- How would your co-workers describe your personality? - Best Answers
- If the people who know you were asked why you should be hired, what would they say? Best Answers
- If you could relive the last 10 years of your life, what would you do differently? - Best Answers
- If you know your supervisor is 100% wrong about something how would you handle it? - Best Answers
- Is there anything else we should know about you? - Best Answers
- Tell me about something you would have done differently at work – Best Answers
- Tell me about your educational background - Best Answers
- What are you passionate about? - Best Answers
- What are your goals for the next 5-10 years? - Best Answers
- What are your hobbies? - Best Answers
- What are your pet peeves? - Best Answers
- What can we expect from you in the first 60 days on the job? - Best Answers
- What can you contribute to this company? - Best Answers
- What can you do better for us than the other candidates for the job? – Best Answers
- What can you do for this company? - Best Answers
- What challenges are you looking for in a job? - Best Answers
- What did you like or dislike about your previous job? - Best Answers
- What do people most often criticize about you? - Best Answers
- What do you expect from a supervisor? - Best Answers
- What do you see yourself doing within the first 30 days on the job? - Best Answers
- What have you learned from your mistakes? - Best Answers
- What interests you about this job? - Best Answers
- What is the biggest criticism you received from your boss? - Best Answers